An integral part of the LCLD Pathfinder Program curriculum is the online experiential learning component, accessible via the LCLD Pathfinder E-Module Portal.
NOTE: 2022 Pathfinders received access to the Pathfinder E-Module Portal in April 2022.
Two Pathfinder E-Modules will be released between the spring and fall Class Meetings. Each of the e-modules will be available as described in the welcome package that is distributed at the beginning of the program year. Pathfinders are asked to engage their Peer Circles and Program Facilitators in completing their e-modules and associated assignments. Click here for further instructions.
LCLD will send emails letting Pathfinders and Program Facilitators know when each e-module opens and closes via firstname.lastname@example.org. You may use this page as a reference between formal communications. Please note that Pathfinders and Program Facilitators should have received a unique e-module invitation link via email@example.com on April 5, 2022 (please check your spam folder).
E-Module 1: Goal-Setting
Online Learning: Building Career Success - The Power of Goal-Setting
Companion Worksheet: Building Career Success — The Power of Goal-Setting Self-Reflection Questions
Webinar: Stop Setting Goals, Start Changing Your Life! + Peer Circle Work Session (register here)
Completion Deadline: July 12, 2022
Goal-Setting Action Assignments:
Completion Deadline: Choose at least one Action Assignment to complete by the deadline.
On your own:
1) Review your report and the online materials from the TypeCoach session presented in March. Develop and implement a plan to refine your approach to working with a supervising attorney who displays a different personality type.
2) Getting honest and accurate feedback is essential to career development. Ask three colleagues to give you the first three words they think of when they think of your work. Are the words they use consistent with your self-image of the work you do?
With your Peer Circle:
3) Discuss your Self-Reflection Questions with your Peer Circle.
4) Re-read your most recent performance review and pick one skill/function that you would like to better develop. Create a development plan for that skill. Discuss your development plan with your Peer Circle and ask for feedback.
With your Program Facilitator:
5) Meet with your Program Facilitator to discuss the essential skills (these can be either technical or “soft” skills) necessary to continue to progress to more senior levels of leadership/responsibility within your organization. Compare what you’ve learned from each of your organizations and discuss with your Peer Circle.
6) Meet with your Program Facilitator to review potential training opportunities that may be available within your organization and/or community.
Suggested Readings on Goal-Setting:
While optional, these resources will help to supplement the e-module on Goal-Setting.
1) Mindset: The New Psychology of Success, by Carol Dweck (240 pages)
2) Deep Work: Rules for Focused Success In A Distracted World, by Cal Newport (296 pages)
3) The Success Principles, by Jack Canfield (624 pages)
4) Atomic Habits: An Easy & Proven Way to Build Good Habits & Break Bad Ones, by James Clear (320 pages)
5) How to Begin: Start Doing Something That Matters, by Michael Bungay Stanier (224 pages)
6) "Ask Yourself 4 Questions to Move You Toward the Life and Career You Want," by Marcel Schwantes, Inc. Magazine, March 23, 2022
7) "To Reach Your Goals, Embrace Self-Compassion," by Elizabeth Grace Saunders, Harvard Business Review, February 22, 2022
8) "To Build New Habits, Get Comfortable Failing," by Sabina Nawaz, Harvard Business Review, January 21, 2022
9) “Revisiting 2020 Goals During the COVID-19 Pandemic,” by Mahira Khan, Baker Donelson Diversity Matters Newsletter, Second Quarter 2020
10) “4 Tips for Staying on Track with Your Goals,” by Jay Reeves, Lawyers Mutual, April 29, 2019
11) “Make Your Work Resolutions Stick,” by Rebecca Knight, Harvard Business Review (7 minutes)
12) A list of podcasts focused on setting and meeting goals is listed here.
13) “Cultivating the right mindset to excel in your career with Drew Amoroso,” The Generation Why Lawyer Podcast, Episode 145, May 21, 2018 (31 minutes)
14) “Career Growth vs. Development,” Corporate Homie Podcast, Episode 57, February 21, 2018 (20 minutes)
15) “Run Your Own Race,” Corporate Homie Podcast, Episode 38, August 22, 2017 (16 minutes)
16) “The Goal Setting Process,” Lawyer Life Podcast, January 3, 2019 (25 minutes)
17) “Deep Work,” NPR Hidden Brain Podcast, August 26, 2019 (34 minutes)
18) “Why the secret to success is setting the right goals,” by John Doerr, TED2018 (12 minutes)
Please email Sarah Alexander, Pathfinder Program Manager, with any questions on substance or deadlines.
For technical questions about the Pathfinder E-Module Portal, please contact Chenoa Forrester, LCLD Programs Specialist.