For the 2022-2023 academic year, the Success in Law School Mentoring Program offers a hybrid structure consisting of a local city model and a virtual model. Both models allow more flexibility in how Mentors and Mentees choose to participate, and increase inclusivity by engaging a broader audience. Read on to learn how to register for a Mentor.
What: Learn how the legal industry really works. The goal of the program is to ensure that 1L students receive the mentoring they need to maximize their potential, both during law school and afterward, as they prepare for the bar exam and launch their careers.
Who: Diverse, first-year law students (Mentees) in good standing in an ABA-aproved school, will be matched with an attorney (Mentor) from an LCLD Member law firm or corporation, who takes an active, personal interest in their Mentee.
When: Throughout the academic year.
How: Depending on your city, Mentee registration will begin in September or October each year, and end in the winter of the following year. Register here.
Benefits of the Mentoring Program:
- City Registration Option: Under this model, diverse first-year law students will be matched with an LCLD attorney Mentor located in their city.
- Virtual Registration Option: Under this model, diverse first-year law students will be matched with an LCLD attorney Mentor anywhere nationwide.
- Individual Mentoring Program (IMP): One-on-one mentoring throughout your first year of law school.
- Group Mentoring Program (GMP): Free networking events on a range of topics including professional development, interviewing skills, relationship building, practice area choice, and much more. These events are also open to 2L and 3L students.
- Mentee LinkedIn Group: A resource for relevant legal industry news and a great networking tool.
Please note: You will only be able to choose one registration option (city or virtual).
What Mentees & Mentors are Saying:
"LCLD was hands down the best mentorship program I experienced as a 1L. My Mentor was engaged, responsive, candid, and supportive. I relied on and greatly appreciated her insights. I highly recommend this program for 1Ls."—Meg Dawson, LCLD Mentee, Northwestern University Pritzker School of Law ‘19
“Being an LCLD Mentor has been an incredibly fulfilling experience. My Mentees have benefited from the professional insight I have gleaned through my years of practice. But I have personally benefited, as well, as a result of the lifelong friendships that have developed with several of the students I have mentored over the years.”—Sara Abner, LCLD Mentor; Member, Frost Brown Todd LLC
For questions about the Success in Law School Mentoring Program, please contact Nancy Richardson, Program Manager.