For the 2021-2022 academic year, the Success in Law School Mentoring Program offers a hybrid structure consisting of a local regional model and an online virtual model. Both models allow more flexibility in how Mentors and Mentees choose to participate, and increase inclusivity by engaging a broader audience. Read on to learn how to register for a Mentor.
What: Learn how the legal industry really works. The goal of the program is to ensure that 1L students receive the mentoring they need to maximize their potential, both during law school and afterward, as they prepare for the bar exam and launch their careers.
Who: Diverse, first-year law students (Mentees) will each be matched with an attorney (Mentor) from an LCLD Member law firm or corporation, who takes an active, personal interest in their Mentee.
When: Throughout the academic year.
How: Depending on your city, Mentee registration will begin in September or October each year, and end in the winter of the following year. Register here.
Benefits of the Mentoring Program:
- Regional Registration Option: Under this model, diverse first-year law students will be matched with an LCLD attorney Mentor located in their region for an in-person experience (when it is safe to meet in person).
- Virtual Registration Option: Under this model, diverse first-year law students will be matched with an LCLD attorney Mentor anywhere nationwide, for a completely virtual experience.
- Individual Mentoring Program (IMP): One-on-one mentoring throughout your first year of law school.
- Group Mentoring Program (GMP): Free local networking events on a range of topics including professional development, interviewing skills, relationship building, practice area choice, and much more. These events are also open to 2L and 3L students. NOTE: Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, LCLD is relaxing its requirements for in-person meetings during the Mentoring Program. Should social-distancing measures still be necessary during the 2020-2021 academic year, all meetings and events will be held over video conference or by phone.
- Mentee LinkedIn Group: A resource for relevant legal industry news and a great networking tool.
Please note: You will only be able to choose one registration option (regional or virtual).
What Mentees & Mentors are Saying:
"LCLD was hands down the best mentorship program I experienced as a 1L. My Mentor was engaged, responsive, candid, and supportive. I relied on and greatly appreciated her insights. I highly recommend this program for 1Ls."—Meg Dawson, LCLD Mentee, Northwestern University Pritzker School of Law ‘19
“Being an LCLD Mentor has been an incredibly fulfilling experience. My Mentees have benefited from the professional insight I have gleaned through my years of practice. But I have personally benefited, as well, as a result of the lifelong friendships that have developed with several of the students I have mentored over the years.”—Sara Abner, LCLD Mentor; Member, Frost Brown Todd LLC
For questions about the Success in Law School Mentoring Program, please contact Nancy Richardson, Program Manager.