The 1L LCLD Scholars Program is designed to strengthen the legal pipeline by expanding the number of opportunities for diverse first-year law students. The program offers you the rare opportunity to spend a summer working alongside attorneys from LCLD Member organizations.
How to Apply to the 1L Scholars Program
1. Apply directly to summer internships made available by LCLD Member organizations. The summer 2020 job opportunities will be available December 2, 2019.
2. If you have questions about any of the job opportunities, please use the contact information listed for that organization.
3. To be eligible as a 1L Scholar, you must be enrolled as a first-year law student and in good standing in an ABA-approved school.
4. Member organizations will make the final hiring decision at their discretion. They will also make the decision to nominate you as a 1L LCLD Scholar.
NOTE: Member organizations will also register their Scholar(s) for the 1L Scholars Summit.
5. You will have the opportunity to attend the 2020 1L LCLD Scholars Summit at the beginning of the summer and will be exposed to two days of distinguished speakers, panel discussions, and networking opportunities. The location will be at The Westin Peachtree Plaza on June 2-4, 2020 in Atlanta, GA.
6. If hired, plan to spend your summer with that LCLD Member organization working side-by-side with attorneys, learning new skills, and building networks.
Benefits for Scholars
1L LCLD Scholars Summit: LCLD invites each class of Scholars to this annual event, which includes panel discussions, distinguished speakers, and networking opportunities for the Scholars with LCLD Members and each other.
Substantive Work Assignments: LCLD Scholars spend their summer side by side with attorneys from Fortune 500 legal departments and Am Law 350 law firms.
Networking: There is a LinkedIn group dedicated to articles and discussions relevant to 1L LCLD Scholars. All are invited to join.
Group Mentoring Program (GMP) Events: After the Summit, LCLD Scholars can look forward to invites to attend GMP events. Be on the lookout for invitations from the LCLD community!
If you have any questions about the 1L LCLD Scholars Program, please contact Nancy Richardson, LCLD Program Manager.