The 1L LCLD Scholars Program is designed to strengthen the legal pipeline by expanding the number of opportunities for diverse first-year law students.
Our 1L Scholars Program gives these law students the rare opportunity to work side-by-side with attorneys from LCLD Member organizations. It provides them with valuable professional experiences while introducing them to the value of relationships and building networks with LCLD Members.
Launched in 2011, the 1L LCLD Scholars Program has already put hundreds of young attorneys on a path to leadership through law school and beyond.
If you are interested in becoming a 1L LCLD Scholar, click here for instructions on how to apply.
Benefits for 1L LCLD Scholars include:
- 2021 1L LCLD Scholars Virtual Summit, May 18-20, 2021, designed specifically for 1L Scholars, focusing on leadership, relationship building, and career development strategies. The summit will include new sessions on personality type in the workplace, law firm mechanics, and wellness.
- 1L LCLD Scholars will have an opportunity to participate in a Virtual Mock Interviews with attorneys from LCLD Member law firms.
- Networking opportunities via a LinkedIn group dedicated to articles and discussions relevant to all 1L LCLD Scholars, who are invited to join. Additionally, 2021 Scholars will be invited to participate in Virtual Social Hours.
To learn more about applying to the 1L Scholars Program, click here.
Benefits for LCLD Member organizations include:
- Expanding the reach of your internship program.
- Building your organization’s pipeline for diverse legal talent.
- Enhancing your summer program with opportunities provided through LCLD's 1L Scholars Summit.
- Demonstrating your commitment to diversity to clients or outside counsel.
- Strengthening your relationship with clients or outside counsel through a 1L Scholars Partnership.
To learn more about hosting 1L Scholars, click here.
For more information about the 1L Scholars Program, please review the 2021 1L Scholars Program Prospectus and 2021 1L Scholars Program FAQs linked in the "Resources" section at the bottom of this page, or contact Nancy Richardson, LCLD Program Manager.
1L Scholars may click here for a list of other diversity and inclusion opportunities available throughout the year.
2019 1L LCLD Scholars Summit
Photography by Wilma Jackson