October Outreach Initiative: Access to the Ballot.
The LCLD Alumni Outreach Committee, together with volunteers from our racial and social justice committee, have chosen to partner with the Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights Under Law’s Election Protection Initiative. The national, nonpartisan Election Protection coalition works to ensure that all voters have an equal opportunity to vote and have that vote count. Election Protection provides Americans with comprehensive information and assistance at all stages of voting – from registration, to absentee and early voting, to casting a vote at the polls, to overcoming obstacles to their participation.
We invite the LCLD Alumni community to donate their time in October and early November to staff LCCR’s Election Protection hotline. Please complete the mandatory training necessary and then volunteer for at least one shift any time September 1, 2020- November 3, 2020. Trainings are offered on demand and take approximately two hours.
Click HERE to register.
Here’s how it works:
Answer calls to the national voter hotline*
*Sessions are categorized by region. When you register to volunteer in your region, you will be answering questions from people who live in your area!
Lawyers, paralegals, legal assistants, and law students
Available on-demand (around 2 hours). You sign up for this on We the Action and will be sent the link via an email from We The Action. (Please check your spam folder.)
Captains will be available during a volunteer’s shift to assist with questions.
Extensive helpful documents available online and delivered to each volunteer the night prior to your shift to provide you with sample responses to “common questions”.
A Few Additional Notes
2. The class with the highest percentage of members participating in this initiative will earn class bragging rights for the newly created Giving Back, Moving Forward Together award.
3. Current Fellows, Pathfinders, and Friends of LCLD are welcome and encouraged to participate!
4. If you would like to contribute to Election Protection, click here.
5. When you complete your profile, please select LCLD/Leadership Council on Legal Diversity from the “Referred By” drop down options. If you choose your primary organization, or you do not see LCLD, please screenshot your registration confirmation and send to email@example.com so you can be counted.
6. If volunteer shifts with the Lawyers' Committee for Civil Rights Under Law's Election Protection Initiative are unavailable or do not work with your schedule, we encourage you to volunteer with ANY organization providing election-related services and access to the ballot.