Joined by new arrivals from the Class of 2013, the Fellows Alumni will meet this May in Miami, FL for a long weekend of professional enrichment in a decidedly relaxed setting.
May 15-18, 2014
Tweeting? Use #LCLDAlumMiami.
THURSDAY, MAY 15
3:00 pm – 5:00 pm
Optional Community Service Project at Overtown Youth Center/networking Time
(Meet at 2:30 pm in the hotel lobby to travel to Overtown)
6:00 pm - 8:00 pm
FRIDAY, MAY 16
8:00 am - 8:45 am
8:45 am - 9:00 am
Fellows Alumni Conference Committee
9:00 am - 9:50 am
Becoming General Counsel: Advancing Your Career Towards This Coveted Assignment
Lori Garrett, Managing Director, BarkerGilmore LLC
Paul S. Williams, Chicago Office Managing Partner, Major, Lindsey & Africa
Moderated by Corey Lee, 2012 Fellow, and Associate, Hunton & Williams LLP
The General Counsel has become an integral member of the senior leadership team in many corporations, trusted not only for their legal advice, but increasingly for their business acumen. Securing this coveted assignment has become more challenging than ever before. Learn from leading GC recruiters what senior executives are looking for today, and how you can stand out in the crowded pool of lawyers striving to ascend the corporate ladder.
9:50 am - 10:00 am
10:00 am - 10:45 am
General Counsel Panel
Derek Jackson, Vice President & General Counsel, Miami Marlins
Eve Wright, Vice President, Associate General Counsel, Miami HEAT
Moderated by Heather Hutchinson, 2012 Fellow, and Vice President, Scripps Networks Interactive, Inc.
This panel will discuss what you need to know once you become a General Counsel, how you can prepare to become a General Counsel and how outside counsel can become a preferred law firm.
11:00 am - 12:00 pm
Practice Group Breakout Sessions
Fellows will break into Practice Groups to discuss direction for the LCLD Alumni as we continue to grow: What are the Goals and Expectations?
12:15 pm - 1:00 pm
Lunch: An Interview with Stephen N. Zack by Robert J. Grey, Jr.
Stephen N. Zack, Administrative Partner, Boies, Schiller & Flexner LLP, and Former President of the American Bar Association (ABA) (2010-2012)
Robert J. Grey, Jr., Executive Director, LCLD; Partner, Hunton & Williams LLP; and Former President of the ABA (2004-2005)
1:00 pm – 1:30 pm
Practice Group Reports
Practice Groups Report back to the whole group with ideas on how to use the Practice Groups.
1:30 pm – 2:30 pm
In-house Counsel And Outside Counsel Breakout Sessions
- Best Practices and Trends within Legal Departments
- Effective Ways to Manage Budgets
- Effective Management and Ways to Progress with Corporations
- Effective Communication with GC, C-Suite Executives and Outside Counsel
- Managing the RFP Process to Include More Diverse Counsel
- Best Practices and Trends in Business Development
- Alternative Fee Arrangements
- Ways to Improve Career Trajectory
- Effective Communication with Corporate Counsel and Firm Leadership
- How to Progress Through Firm Leadership
- Ways to Learn about Corporate RFPs and Opportunity
2:45 pm – 3:45 pm
Business Development Panel
Jacqueline Katzel, 2011 Fellow, and Assistant General Counsel--Corporate Governance and Assistant Corporate Secretary, Honeywell International Inc.
Kamran Q. Khan, 2011 Fellow, and Assistant General Counsel, Law Department, Altria Client Services, Inc.
Jimmie L. McMillian, 2011 Fellow, and Partner, Barnes & Thornburg LLP
- A frank conversation regarding how to ask contacts for business
- What in-house counsel need to know about law firm economics and how partners get credit
- What to do if your preferred counsel is not working on your matters
- When and how to talk to in-house counsel regarding law firm politics
5:30 pm - 6:30 pm
Meet with Accountability Partners to Set Goals
6:30 pm – Until
Please check SignUpGenius for your specific reservation.
SATURDAY, MAY 17
Please check SignUpGenius for specific event times.
SUNDAY, MAY 18
7:00 am -9:00 am
Join Fellows Program Alumni for breakfast at your own expense. A reservation has been made under “LCLD” at the hotel restaurant on the ground level.
See photos from the conference below.