- JD, University of Houston Law Center, Houston, TX, 2008-2012
- PhD, Biochemistry & Molecular Biology, University of Kansas Medical Center, Kansas City, KS, 1990-1995
- Masters in Biosciences, University of Roorkee, Roorkee, India, 1988-1990
- Bachelor’s in Science, KLDAV College, Meerut University, Roorkee, India, 1984-1988
- State of Texas
- United States Patent and Trademark Office
- Associate, Business Litigation, Haynes and Boone, LLP, Houston, TX, 2012-Present
- Volunteer Prosecutor, Municipal Courts, City of Houston, TX, 2012
- Associate Professor, Cancer Genetics, The University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center, 2008-2011
- Manager, Genomics Facility, The University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center, 2003-2011
- Assistant Professor, Cancer Genetics, The University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center, 2003-2008
- Research Coordinator & Statistical Analyst, The University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center, 2000-2003
- Postdoctoral fellow, Department of Molecular Genetics, The University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center, 1996-2000
HONORS AND AWARDS
- Spring 2011, Intern, Honorable Vanessa D. Gilmore, Southern District of Texas, Houston, TX
- 2010 Summer Internship, Haynes and Boone, LLP, Houston, TX
- 2006 Nanomagnetic Biosensor for Cancer Diagnosis, Alliance for NanoHealth, Houston, TX
- 2005 Cancer Center Support Grant, National Institutes of Health
- 2004 Disease Marker Screening, Federal Grant, National Institutes of Health
- 2003 University Cancer Foundation, Research Grant, The University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center
- 1995 W.S. Sutton Award (Best Thesis Award), University of Kansas Medical Center
- 1990 Chancellor’s Gold Medal for Academic Excellence, University of Roorkee
- 1989 Summer Research Fellowship, National Institute of Immunology, New Delhi, India
- Patent infringement
- Trade Secret
- Toxic tort
- Breach of contract
- Opinions regarding invalidity of pharmaceutical drug patents
- Motion Practice
- Client management and communications
- Working with experts and expert reports
- Trial experience
- Settlement negotiations
- Teva will increase Reliance on Experts in Patent Cases, Law 360, March 19, 2015.
- Non-Asbestos Causes of Mesothelioma, guest article, DRI Trials and Tribulations, The Newsletter of the Trial Tactics Resolution Committee, Vol. 18, Issue 2, August 1, 2012.
- Petroleum-Engineering Firm Could Be Liable for Reserve Estimates, American Bar Association Section of Litigation, Energy Litigation News & Developments, May 10, 2012.
- Proposal for Resolution to Challenges Posed by DNA Sequence Patents on the Development of Multiplex Genetic Tests, Comment, 49 Hous. L. Rev. 131 (2012).
- High-throughput DNA/RNA genomic technologies
- High-throughput proteomic technologies
- Gene cloning technologies
- Molecular Biology technologies, including gene cloning, gel-electrophoresis and spectrophotometry
- Genetics technologies including creation of knock-out mice
- Equipment and other detection, screening and diagnostic tools used for all the above
SCIENTIFIC PRESENTATIONS, INVITED TALKS & PUBLICATIONS
- 29 presentations and invited talks at scientific meetings and conferences in Austin (TX), Bethesda (MD), Cold Spring Harbor (NY), Columbia (MO), Davis (CA), Fredrick (MD), Houston (TX), Kansas City (KS), New York City (NY), Philadelphia (PA), San Diego (CA), and Dublin (Ireland)
- 20 articles in peer-reviewed scientific journals including Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA; Journal of Biological Sciences, USA; Bioinformatics, USA; Oncogene, UK; Gene, UK; Proteome Research, USA; etc.
- Organized and hosted 15 scientific seminars, collaborative meetings with biotechnology companies from the USA, India, Denmark, Germany, and Israel
SCIENTIFIC GRANTS & ARTICLES REVIEWED
- 2004-2006 Yearly Federal Grant Reviewer on National Institutes of Health Special Emphasis Panel and National Cancer Institute
- 2004-2006 Scientific articles reviewed in Journal of Biotechnology, BioTechniques and BioMed Central Biotechnology
- 2005-2008 Member, Review Committee, Kleberg Center for Molecular Markers, The University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center
My interest in law began after successfully establishing and running the first genomics high-throughput profiling facility at MD Anderson Cancer Center. Having been involved in scientific research for several years, I became interested in protection of scientific inventions. My interest deepened when I helped my husband start his company to commercialize his patented invention in genomics.
While working full-time at MD Anderson, I successfully completed law school in the top 10% of the class. During my three years of law practice, I have been involved in multiple technology-related matters. In a trade secret matter involving petrochemicals, due to my scientific expertise, I made a key contribution at trial resulting in a permanent injunction in favor of our client. I have also worked on trade secret matters involving equipment used in the petrochemical refining industry and customer lists and pricing models. Among other matters, I have worked on patent infringement, trademark infringement, toxic tort and general business litigation cases. I have enjoyed working on cases involving science and technology. I am always looking to augment my law practice by adding my scientific knowledge, skills and experience to my practice.
Outside of work, I actively volunteer in events geared towards assisting minorities with career development. I have twice presented to the 1L minority students at the University of Houston Law Center. Last summer I mentored a 1L minority summer student at Haynes and Boone. I am also involved in an online minority mentoring program.
At Haynes and Boone, I actively participate in recruiting events, including law school on-campus interviews and on-site interviews for law students as well as lateral candidates. I am also an active member of the diversity program at Haynes and Boone and have participated in multiple diversity events.
I have lived in Houston for the past 19 years. I am married to Dr. Rahul Mitra, who is a scientist at MD Anderson Cancer Center, an entrepreneur, an artist and a writer. I have a 14 year old daughter, Anika and a 9 year old son, Manav. I love to cook for and spend time with my family. In addition, I like to stay fit and eat healthy. While at MD Anderson Cancer Center, I taught total body work out.
Areas of Practice
University of Houston Law CenterUpdate this Profile