Welcome to the LCLD Insider, our monthly newsletter. This publication is for you, and we welcome your feedback and ideas, as well as any news you might be interested in passing along. Please share the Insider with your support staff, diversity directors, and marketing departments to keep them better informed about what LCLD is doing.
-Robert Grey, President
In This Issue:
- Introducing the Upgraded Fellows and Pathfinder Directories
- Candidates Now Applying to 2019 1L Scholars Program Internships
- Atlanta Attorneys Needed to Conduct Mock Interviews
- Last Call for Attorney Mentors
- 2019 Fellow Nominations
- 2019 Pathfinder Selections
- At AT&T, a Learning Experience to Remember
- Recent Regional Events
- Welcome, New Members!
- In the News
Introducing the Upgraded Fellows and Pathfinder Directories
LCLD has upgraded the directories serving Fellows and Pathfinders to provide a secure, searchable, password-protected environment in which to share contact info, practice areas, and more. Click here to learn more about the new directories.
Fellows and Pathfinders, you should have received instructions on how to update your profiles and create your LCLD accounts. However, if you did not receive these instructions or have any difficulties setting up your account, you can reach out to FellowsDirect@lcldnet.com (for Fellows) or PathDirect@lcldnet.com (for Pathfinders). You can also find detailed instructions and answers to common questions here.
Candidates Now Applying to 2019 1L Scholars Program Internships
A group of 2018 1L Scholars with LCLD President Robert Grey (second from right) at the Scholars Summit in Philadelphia.
Thanks to you, a record 127 Member organizations will host 1L LCLD Scholars Program internships next summer! We have notified more than 100 law schools nationwide of the 2019 1L LCLD Scholars Opportunities, which were posted to the LCLD website on December 1, 2018.
- Hire 1L Scholars: Each Member organization will independently identify, select, and hire its respective 1L Scholars. Candidates are now applying to internship postings on the Scholars Opportunities webpage.
- Register Individual 1L Scholars by May 3, 2019: LCLD Member organizations will need to provide their Scholars' information to LCLD and register them for the 2019 1L LCLD Scholars Summit, which will take place June 4-6, 2019, at the Atlanta Sheraton in Atlanta, GA. Registered Member organizations will receive a reminder email in early 2019, or you may register here at your convenience.
Atlanta Attorneys Needed to Conduct Mock Interviews
Volunteer attorneys conduct a mock interview with a 2018 Scholar at last year's 1L Scholars Summit. Mock Interviews were hosted by Reed Smith LLP in Philadelphia.
LCLD is excited to bring Mock Interviews to the agenda for 2019 1L Scholars, but we can’t do it without your help. The 2019 1L LCLD Scholars Summit takes place June 4-6, 2019, in Atlanta, GA. Mock Interviews will be held June 4, 2019, from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Sheraton Atlanta.
If you are interested in conducting interviews, please reach out to Nancy Richardson to learn more about the time commitment and the interview process.
Last Call for Attorney Mentors
Many LCLD attorneys have already been matched with diverse first-year law students for LCLD's Success in Law School Mentoring Program. However, there remains a need for Mentors in the following cities: Baltimore, Memphis (recently added), Orlando (recently added), Pittsburgh, and Raleigh/Durham.
There is a minimal time commitment for this volunteer position, and it is a great way to pay it forward to help a student navigate the world of law school. If you have not registered, please take a moment to consider being a Mentor to make a positive difference in a student’s life. You can register to be a Mentor here.
2019 Fellow Nominations
2018 Fellows at the Second Fellows Meeting in Washington, DC this October.
As a reminder, please submit your 2019 Fellows nominations by Friday, January 18, 2019.
The Fellows Program is a one-year, multifaceted, relationship-building, and leadership-training experience for diverse lawyers with 8-15 years of practice experience and demonstrated leadership potential. As LCLD's flagship program, all Fellows must be handpicked by LCLD Members themselves.
Please be sure to review the program selection criteria and fees before submitting your nomination(s). We also encourage you to review the Member Tool Kit for the Fellows Program and the 2019 Fellows Program Prospectus.
For questions, please contact Nichole Velasquez, Program Manager.
2019 Pathfinder Selections
2018 Pathfinder Nichole Davis engages in an exercise at the Second Pathfinder Meeting in Purchase, NY this November.
As a reminder, please submit your 2019 Pathfinder selections by Friday, February 9, 2019. Please note that many 1L LCLD Scholars are now employed by LCLD Member organizations and are eligible to become 2019 Pathfinders!
The goal of the Pathfinder Program is to provide early-career attorneys with essential "soft" skills including leadership, relationship building, networking, and career planning to benefit both Pathfinders and the organizations for whom they work. Law firm candidates should have 3-7 years of practice experience. In-house candidates should have up to 3 years of in-house experience, and less than 8 total years of practice experience.
Please be sure to review the program selection criteria and fees and the 2019 Pathfinder Program Prospectus before submitting your selection(s). Note that you will also need to identify a Pathfinder Program Facilitator upon selecting your Pathfinder.
For questions, please email Erin Hess, Program Manager.
At AT&T, a Learning Experience to Remember
Fellows gather at the AT&T Inc. headquarters in Dallas, TX.
In August 2018, Fellows visited the AT&T Inc. headquarters in Dallas, where they were hosted by LCLD Member David McAtee, Senior Executive Vice President and General Counsel.
The Fellows started the day with a welcome from McAtee, who told Fellows of his own career path to general counsel. The ethos of his Legal department can be summed up by a military maxim, he said: “Two is one, one is none.” In other words: It’s imperative for team members to operate as one team rather than as individuals—and even more so when the stakes are high.
Click here to read more.
Look out for articles and photos from these Learning Experiences in future issues of the LCLD Insider:
- On September 17-19, 2018, the LCLD Fellows visited United Airlines, Inc. for a Learning Experience hosted by Brett Hart, Executive Vice President, Chief Administrative Officer, and General Counsel.
- On November 8-9, 2018, the LCLD Fellows visited Adogadas MX for a Learning Experience hosted by Valeria Chapa, Founder and 2013 Fellow.
- On November 15, 2018, the LCLD Fellows visited Facebook, Inc. for a Learning Experience hosted by Colin Stretch, Vice President and General Counsel. A Welcome Event was hosted by Kilpatrick Townsend & Stockton LLP on November 14.
The next Learning Experience will be hosted at LPL Financial in Charlotte, NC on February 7, 2019, by LCLD Member Michelle Oroschakoff, Chief Legal & Risk Officer.
For questions about hosting a Learning Experience, please contact Nichole Velasquez.
Recent Regional Events
We'd like to thank the following LCLD affiliates for hosting recent regional events:
- LCLD Members Anne Robinson, General Counsel of The Vanguard Group, Inc., and Kim Koopersmith, Partner and Chairperson of Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP, spoke to Fellows during a Leadership Lunch Plus at the Vanguard Innovation Studios on November 15, 2018.
- Pillsbury Winthrop Shaw Pittman LLP and the LCLD Fellows Alumni hosted screenings of On the Basis of Sex, a film about Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, on November 28, December 13, and December 18 in San Francisco, Seattle, and Los Angeles.
- Duane Morris LLP hosted the most recent installment of the Fellows Alumni Speaker Series in Florida on December 12, 2018. The session, entitled "Inclusive Leadership on a Global Network," featured four South Florida general counsel and was moderated by Miles Plaskett, 2016 Fellow and Partner at Duane Morris.
Welcome, New Members!
Mark Stewart is Chair of Ballard Spahr LLP. Ballard Spahr LLP promotes diversity through recruiting, maintains it through inclusion, supports it with many affinity groups, and advances it through partnerships with clients and community. We remain committed to creating a vibrant community where the needs, perspectives, and contributions of people from all backgrounds are valued and integrated into every part of the firm. Ballard Spahr is proud to become a member of LCLD and to join in their mission to create diversity in the legal industry.
Jim Shaughnessy is General Counsel of Workday, Inc. Workday was founded on a disruptive idea: to put people at the center of enterprise software. Now, over a decade later, we still deliver on that idea every day. Workday helps organizations in all industries achieve extraordinary success. Whether you're a midsize organization or a Fortune 50 enterprise, our cloud-based ERP system gives you deep insight into your business and the agility to adapt to change.
In the News
LCLD Member James Chosy (left), Executive Vice President and General Counsel at US Bancorp, and LCLD Fellows Dionne Blake (not pictured), Senior Director and Assistant General Counsel at Target Corporation and Eric Rucker (right), Senior Counsel at 3M Company, discussed ways to create a more inclusive legal profession on a recent panel.
Ivan Fong, LCLD Member and General Counsel of 3M Company, announced that 3M would be the first in-house legal department to join the American Bar Association’s initiative on substance abuse.
Ernest Greer, LCLD Member and Co-President of Greenberg Traurig, LLP, was named a Corporate Diversity Champion by the Atlanta Business Chronicle.
Julie Gruber, LCLD Member and Global General Counsel at Gap Inc., was recently profiled in Law360.
Wesley Bizzell, 2014 Fellow and Senior Assistant General Counsel at Altria Group, Inc., wrote a chapter for the book The Diversity Agenda, sharing strategies for building LGBTQ-inclusive organizations.
Kiamesha Colom, 2015 Fellow and Partner at Taft Stettinius & Hollister LLP, is working to change Indiana laws regarding foster parents and their foster children.
Various LCLD Member organizations were featured in the news.
Read the latest issue of the LCLD Weekly News Digest on major issues in diversity and the legal profession. If you would like to receive the news digest via email each Wednesday, please contact Caitlin Puffenberger.
If you have any news or honors that are relevant to LCLD Members, please email Caitlin Puffenberger at firstname.lastname@example.org.