I, Walfrido Martinez, personally commit to the following:
- Use my voice as a leader in the firm to advocate for increased diversity, heightened focus on inclusion and equitable opportunities for diverse attorneys within the firm and the legal industry.
- Lead by example by developing a diverse team of office, practice and committee leaders and a diverse pipeline for future leaders.
- Engage proactively and regularly with firm and practice leadership to set strategic goals, to track progress and to identify opportunities for enhancing programs and best practices to advance the firm’s diversity and inclusion efforts.
- Communicate regularly with clients regarding the firm’s commitment to diversity and inclusion and partner with clients on initiatives that will further our mutual diversity goals, as well as enhance the career development of our diverse attorneys.
- Support the firm’s proactive participation, as a charter member, in the Law Firm Antiracism Alliance and in the programs and initiatives of leading organizations such as LCLD.
- Engage proactively with our diverse attorneys to listen to their perspectives and support programs that increase awareness, facilitate discussion and promote positive change.
- Foster a diverse and inclusive professional community that promotes collaboration, respect, involvement and empowerment at all levels.
- Support resources and programs that are readily available to all lawyers and that keep the firm’s commitment to diversity and inclusion front of mind.
- Lead by example by encouraging firm and practice leadership to proactively participate in diversity and inclusion programs and initiatives and to focus on, and engage intentionally in, building diverse client teams.
- Support and expand the firm’s sponsorship initiative, which ensures proactive sponsorship and accountability for the professional development and advancement of diverse attorneys.
- Sponsor affinity groups and other activities, programs and initiatives that celebrate, and seek to expand, the firm’s diversity and promote an inclusive workplace.
- Develop innovative pipeline and recruiting programs and initiatives that expand the firm’s recruiting networks.
- Promote firm and industry strategic diversity and inclusion goals by providing associates billable hour credit for participation in diversity and inclusion programs.
- Study the firm’s diversity data (including hiring, attrition, workload and promotion data, as well as exit feedback) and share results with firm and practice leadership to identify areas of focus and opportunities for program and best practice enhancements.
- Invest in strategic diversity partnerships with clients, suppliers, diversity organizations and our communities.