I, Steven Taylor, personally commit to the following:
- I will use my voice as Managing Partner to advocate for diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) within our firm, with our clients, and in the broader community of law firms and legal organizations and individuals with which I interact.
- I will support our newly hired DEI professional to ensure that she has the tools necessary to best accomplish her goals and will promote her and her efforts throughout our firm.
- I will work with our leadership team, including our DEI professional, to help improve the equity of processes within our firm including hiring, compensation, and work assignments.
- I will commit to supporting our efforts in implementing the recommendations developed by our Management and DEI Committees in response to our DEI consultant’s report.
- I will regularly include diversity, equity and inclusion goals, efforts and progress on the Management Committee agenda including an update from our DEI professional.
- I will support our participation in Diversity Lab’s Mansfield Certification program for Midsize Firms.
- I will ensure that I bring to my decision-making process an open mind and a recognition that diversity, equity and inclusion must be intentional and a part of all decisions.
- I will connect annually with other Managing Partners of law firms to discuss how to promote diversity, equity and inclusion internally and in our community, including sharing honestly our experiences and being open to new ideas to promote our goals.
- I will meet with my organization’s Fellows, Pathfinders, and Alumni to discuss their experiences within the organization, and ask for recommendations for how the organization could improve.
- We believe that our success as a firm relies on the success of all members of our community. We seek to foster a culture where all members, including those from traditionally underrepresented groups, have, and can see, a path to success. We have dedicated significant additional resources in furthering that effort, including hiring a dedicated DEI professional. We will be updating our Organizational Commitment with strategic goals developed with that professional’s guidance and input. Our current efforts include our commitment to:
- Successfully bring onboard our new DEI professional and give her the support needed to be successful in leading our diversity, equity and inclusion efforts going forward.
- Participate in Diversity Lab’s Mansfield Certification for Midsize Firms, dedicate the resources and efforts required to attain Mansfield certification, and attain Mansfield Certification at the end of the process.
- Support our Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Committee in identifying and implementing actions we can take to further our goals, and in providing support for our community, especially those from underrepresented groups.
- Recognize and reward the efforts made by those in our firm towards diversity, equity and inclusion, supporting those who take on this critical and difficult work.
- Continue our efforts to review and take concrete actions in response to the recommendations from our DEI consultant including prioritizing those recommendation in discussions among the partnership and management.
- Continue educating and training all members of our community on issues related to diversity, equity and inclusion, stressing the importance of broad participation and growth mindset to the success of our common goals.
- Organize and implement events intended to foster an inclusive community and strengthen cultural and organizational ties that have been loosened during the pandemic.
- Continue to support our Diversity Scholars program including identifying potential candidates, interviewing them and eventually providing grants and mentorship to at least three candidates, whose background or experience would contribute to the diversity of litigators in the Bay Area.
- Work with our clients on their diversity, equity and inclusion programs, recognizing that broader success on diversity in the legal profession cannot be accomplished by firms and companies acting individually, it requires collaboration and joint action.