I, Sarah Solum, personally commit to the following:
- Champion our five-year global commitments to diversity and inclusion and targets for gender, race and ethnicity, LGBTQ+ representation, as well as location specific race and ethnicity goals.
- Engage with our US Governance Group about the importance of their personal commitment to recruit, retain and promote attorneys from underrepresented groups.
- Encourage an open dialogue with senior partners and leadership around diversity and inclusion and ensure that DEI is regularly included on the agenda at the highest level.
- Meet annually with our Employee Resource Groups regarding our DEI initiatives.
- Collaborate with a general counsel to host a LCLD Leadership Lunch.
- Explore additional opportunities to partner with clients on activities, events, and initiatives to advance our mutual DEI goals.
- Share my personal commitment to DEI in internal communications and firm town halls.
- Drive accountability through our ambitious D&I targets and commitments to ensure that Freshfields remains a diverse, equitable and inclusive firm.
- Recognize all colleagues’ DEI contributions through our feedback and appraisal processes (including 360 reviews) and continue to give equal value to D&I work as client work for our lawyers. Ensure that championing of DEI does not lie solely with underrepresented members of the firm.
- Continue to participate in Diversity Lab’s Mansfield Rule to further our progress by ensuring that women, underrepresented racial/ethnic lawyers, LGBTQ+ lawyers and lawyers with disabilities make up at least 30% of the candidate pool for leadership and governance roles, equity partner promotions, formal client pitch opportunities and senior lateral positions.
- Continue our commitment to the Law Firm Antiracism Alliance and the Alliance for Asian American Justice.
- Ensure that our US colleagues are well-represented in our global talent programs (e.g., Global Sponsorship, for women lawyers, and Future Leaders, for racially/ethnically diverse colleagues) as we support the career advancement and retention of diverse colleagues.
- Continue to invest in our Returner’s Program which provides a pathway for former practicing lawyers who have been out of the profession to relaunch their careers, while increasing candidate flow and reflecting the firm’s emphasis on diversity and inclusiveness.
- Increase our recruitment efforts at Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs).
- Continue offering the 1L Diversity Fellowship opportunities to law students from underrepresented groups to build the diversity pipeline.
- Continue to support involvement in Legal Outreach and The Vance Center.
- Implement clear and focused goal setting, encourage regular check-ins and enable in-the-moment feedback to better enhance our performance processes to ensure that our people have the support they need to develop their careers. Encourage a culture where constructive feedback is normalized to ensure that underrepresented colleagues have the same meaningful feedback as others to help them grow and flourish.