General Counsel — Northwestern Mutual
I, Ryan Heinemann, personally commit to the following:
- I will use my voice as a leader in my organization and as a member of the professional and my communities to advocate and champion Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion.
- I am committed to leading a culture where everyone feels valued, heard, and treated fairly regardless of background or beliefs.
- I will regularly meet with my Department’s D&I Committee to discuss issues and experiences and to champion their initiatives.
- I will ensure that Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion is a core value of the Law Department and is reflected in how we recruit, develop, retain, and promote talent. I will ensure that all Law Department leaders have a Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion goal as part of the annual goal setting and performance review process.
- I will connect with GC peers as well as national and local resources, including LCLD, to share best practices and strategies, and support initiatives that advance diversity in the legal profession.
- I will strive to ensure diverse slates for all hiring within the Law Department and work to broaden the lens of hiring managers and interviewers for understanding the business need for, and advantages of, diverse talent.
- I will support and guide the work of the Law Department’s Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Committee to help strengthen diversity, equity, and inclusion through programming, leadership opportunities, and department-wide activities.
- I will actively support our organization’s Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion programs, and I will seek out opportunities for leadership, collaboration, and partnership while continuing to serve as a sponsor and ally for our diverse talent.
- I will support the Law Department’s continued participation in minority bar associations and other professional organizations that have a Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion focus, and I will support those organizations both financially and with our attendance at programming.
- I will continue to request that all of our outside firms participate in the annual ABA Diversity Survey and complete the client supplement.
- I will provide diverse employees with access to leadership development programs, including LCLD.
- The Law Department will continue to actively participate and sponsor Summer Law Clerks through the Wisconsin State Bar Diversity Clerkship Program and weave a focus on D&I into our Department’s Summer Clerk Program.