Senior Vice President & Chief Legal Officer — United Airlines
I, Robert Rivkin, personally commit to the following:
- I will use my voice as a leader in my organization and in the profession to advocate for diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) in both. At United, I will ensure that our commitment to DEI is reflected in how we hire and promote diverse talent in our Legal Department.
- I will continue to support LCLD and host a lunch for local LCLD Fellows.
- I will ensure that everyone in my organization will have a forum to address their DEI concerns, issues, and ideas if they would prefer not to address them with me directly.
- I will regularly bring in diverse leaders to speak to my organization about their backgrounds and career paths, to give advice, and to field questions.
- I will regularly reach out to the diverse entry level attorneys in my organization to further their visibility.
- I will work with our law firms to identify diverse young partners/senior associates who will engage in depth with United’s legal matters.
- United’s shared purpose is “Connecting People. Uniting the World.” In the Legal Department, we will reinforce a culture that advances this shared purpose and encourages our employees to bring their authentic selves to work and share their diverse perspectives.
- If any of our top law firms does not have a diverse relationship partner for our matters, we will require that a diverse attorney be assigned as a co-relationship partner.
- We will meet with our top law firms at least once a year to review their diversity metrics and measure their progress on staffing our matters with diverse attorneys.
- We will proactively look for ways to increase our spend percentage on woman and/or minority owned business enterprises.
- We will consider making exceptions to our pre-approved law firm list when doing so would help advance our company’s DEI goals.
- We will achieve Diversity Lab’s Mansfield Rule certification and encourage our top law firms to achieve the same.
- We will set clear expectations that all hiring and promotions in our Legal Department require consideration of a diverse set of candidates.
- We will offer an internship program for diverse 1Ls to increase the diversity of the pipeline into the legal profession.
- We will continue to support United’s participation in LCLD and other professional organizations that are dedicated to promoting DEI in the legal profession, through financial support and active participation in those programs.
- We will continue to engage our internal employee Advisory Council to support the needs of diverse and underrepresented communities, including through active pro bono and community service projects.