I, Robert T. Novick, personally commit to the following:
- I will use my voice as a leader in my organization and in the profession to advocate for diversity, equity and inclusion in the legal profession.
- As Co-Chair of the firm’s Executive Diversity and Inclusion Committee (EDIC), I will continue to work with the committee to drive diversity, equity and inclusion goals and programming with a focus on leadership commitment, professional development and inclusive workplaces, recruiting and retention of diverse attorneys, and partnering with clients and diverse alumni.
- I will communicate at least on a quarterly basis to the WilmerHale community regarding our firm’s diversity, equity and inclusion principles and strategy.
- I will engage with our partners about the value and importance to the firm of their active and visible support of diversity, equity and inclusion initiatives, among other things through discussions at our firm-wide partner meetings, EDIC meetings and Management Committee meetings.
- I will continue to lead our firm’s commitment to remain Mansfield Rule Certified Plus for our U.S. offices as a minimum baseline for holding ourselves accountable for progress on diversity, equity and inclusion within our firm.
- I will meet semi-annually with my organization’s LCLD Fellows, Pathfinders, and Alumni to learn about their experiences at the firm, feedback on LCLD programming, and recommendations for increasing and improving the firm’s diversity, equity and inclusion efforts.
- WilmerHale will hold practice groups and practice group leaders accountable for driving diversity, equity and inclusion progress by ensuring that diverse lawyers receive the work assignments, development support, and client engagement opportunities they need to advance on their career paths.
- WilmerHale will expand metrics used to assess partner performance, including visible and demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion and ability to develop talent equitably and lead inclusively.
- WilmerHale will continue to provide attorneys with billable hours equivalent credit for eligible activities and leadership that advance the firm’s diversity, equity and inclusion efforts.
- WilmerHale will embed critical diversity, equity and inclusion competencies, such as inclusive leadership, developmental mindset, antiracism and allyship into core training modules across the organization.
- WilmerHale will strive to remain Mansfield Rule certified for our U.S. offices as a minimum baseline for holding ourselves accountable for progress on diversity, equity and inclusion within our firm.
- WilmerHale will continue to focus on diversity, equity and inclusion for our professional staff.
- WilmerHale will increase pipeline efforts at the college and law school levels and continue to support programs designed to expand and diversify our talent pipeline, including LCLD and SEO.
- WilmerHale will continue offering opportunities to diverse law students to partner with clients, including LCLD corporate members, in joint summer associate programs.
- WilmerHale will continue the Payton Fellowship, in which associates are seconded for a year to a civil rights organization that addresses issues related to systemic racism, criminal justice and police accountability.
- WilmerHale will continue the Pickering Fellowship, in which associates are seconded for six months at a public interest organization, where they participate as lawyers in the organization’s work.
- WilmerHale will continue to support a broad range of pro bono representations and initiatives that address systemic changes to uproot racial inequity in our society, including the representation through our Racial Justice Reform Initiative.
- WilmerHale will continue to support the Law Firm Antiracism Alliance (LFAA) through our membership.
- WilmerHale will continue to ensure that diverse and women attorneys have the ability to actively participate in diversity-related programs and professional/business development opportunities that promote their careers, including opportunities offered by organizations such as LCLD, MCCA, CCWC, NAPABA, NBA, HNBA, Lavender Law, CYOC, etc.