Senior Vice President, General Counsel & Secretary — General Electric Company
I, Mike Holston, personally commit to the following:
- Be a voice and advocate for diversity and inclusion in the legal profession, both within GE and in the broader legal community.
- Continue to serve as an executive sponsor of a GE Employee Resource Group to engage and develop diverse talent and foster a sense of belonging and community among employees.
- Personally mentor and sponsor the career development of a diverse employee and encourage my senior leadership team to commit to mentoring high potential diverse team members.
- Continue to partner with GE’s leadership team to drive more progress on diversity and inclusion, building off of our commitment through the Diversity Annual Report to improve the depth and breadth of our diversity data.
- Encourage the recruiting and promotion of diverse talent in leadership positions across the company and the businesses.
- Continue to foster an inclusive culture across the legal function that focuses on driving transparency, accountability, and community.
- Commit to make myself available to support the business legal teams in their creation of diversity and inclusion missions and workstreams as GE prepares to separate into three independent, industry-leading companies.
- Remain committed to selecting outside Top Tier law firms that promote diversity and inclusion and dedicate diverse teams to work on our matters. This includes having diverse attorneys at a senior level regularly discussing their work with senior GE lawyers to further develop relationships across GE legal and diverse outside talent.
- Encourage, promote and recognize pro bono work by the GE team and continue to support pro-bono organizations and projects that further the goals of equity, diversity, and inclusion, including Equal Justice Works, Corporate Alliance for the Rule of Law, and the Access to Justice Practicum.
- Support our team’s continued participation in organizations like Leadership Council on Legal Diversity, Street Law, and other professional and community groups that drive impact and help provide development opportunities for diverse team members.
- Examine diverse talent attrition and assess paths to improve.
- Continue to ensure that our board of directors represents a range of diverse backgrounds. Currently, five members of our Board are female; two from underrepresented race and ethnic minority identities, and five are born outside of the United States.
- Continue to support our Governance Committee in their commitment to diversity and inclusion, including requiring that search firms engaged by GE provide a robust selection of women and ethnically diverse candidates in all prospective director candidate pools.