I, Matthew Feeney, personally commit to the following:
- Continue to work with the Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Committee and team on the implementation and success of our Diversity, Equity & Inclusion (DE&I) program, an important aspect of our firm Credo that impacts our firm, our clients, and our community.
- Provide DE&I updates to our Expanded Executive Committee members as part of our quarterly Expanded Executive Committee meetings.
- Continue to work with Practice Group Leaders to pursue our DE&I objectives at the Practice Group level.
- Engage with clients during client audits to further assess potential collaborations to advance diversity in the legal industry.
- Remain involved in the Law Firm Antiracism Alliance (LFAA) and support the attorneys who are participating on the various committees.
- Continue to listen from the leaders of our affinity groups to hear and address the concerns and recommendations of their constituents.
- Continue to encourage firm leaders to discuss meaningful solutions that help attract and retain diverse attorneys.
- Solicit ongoing feedback from all of our attorneys and staff, emphasizing they are free to speak their mind and reassuring them they will be heard.
- Encourage our Practice Group Leaders to establish and achieve aspirational diversity goals.
- Continue to measure the impact of our DE&I efforts through data-driven perspectives (for example, 63% of the 152 attorneys who have joined us since January 1, 2020 are diverse and 78% of the 23 first year attorneys joining us in the fall of 2022 are diverse).
- Establish and communicate Snell & Wilmer’s aspirations for further diversifying our firm.
- Pursue DE&I objectives through our ongoing leadership advancement activities.
- Continue to consider, as part of compensation, each attorney’s personal contributions to DE&I efforts and initiatives.
- Continue to support DE&I pipeline initiatives, including the Fellowship for Advancement and Resources programs, which serves diverse undergraduate students thinking about law school; the ABA’s Judicial Intern Opportunity Program (“JIOP”); and the Sandra Day O’Connor School of Law high school pipeline program.
- Create a comprehensive lateral associate and partner recruiting strategy aimed at identifying diverse talent and ensuring diverse candidates will be considered for all lateral hires.
- Encourage all colleagues and firm leaders to engage in the various awareness and discussion programs we offer on critical DE&I issues, such as the firm’s Conversations on Justice, Diversity, and Understanding or Getting Comfortable with Uncomfortable Conversations series.
- Celebrate DE&I successes at firm-wide events and in firm-wide communications.