I, Mary-Jo Rebelo, personally commit to the following:
- I will lead Burns White by example, ensuring we demand and cultivate a diverse, equitable and inclusive community and workplace.
- I will use my voice and position as CEO of Burns White to advance the goals of increasing diversity, equity, and inclusion in the firm, in the profession and in the communities where we work.
- I have and will use my position in the firm to ensure that DEI goals and concerns are an integral part of all of our hiring, marketing, training and administrative processes, not only for lawyers but for all of our employees.
- I will continue to communicate with the firm’s leadership team to ensure Burns White develops and advances attorneys from underrepresented backgrounds such as people of color, women, veterans and members of the LGBTQ+ community.
- I will coordinate regular meetings with Burns White past and present Fellows and Pathfinders to make recommendations on how our Committee for Diversity and Inclusion can enact meaningful improvements within our firm.
- I will regularly engage with our Committee for Diversity and Inclusion and ensure that members of the Committee are committed to diversity, equity and inclusion and will ensure the committee has the resources necessary to carry out its mission.
- I will ensure diversity, equity and inclusion are regular topics of discussion at Leadership Team meetings, equity partnership meetings and firmwide all attorney meetings.
- I will regularly engage with our Chief Legal Talent & Inclusion Officer and ensure we seek out qualified diverse candidates for hire.
- I will partner with a general counsel to host an LCLD Leadership Lunch.
- We will implement an annual Diversity, Equity & Inclusion training program for Burns White attorneys and administrators focusing on topics such as implicit bias.
- We will continue to be an engaged member of the Leadership Council on Legal Diversity, including nominating a Fellow and/or Pathfinder annually.
- Successfully complete the Midsize Mansfield Rule certification program and continue to seek certification in the coming years.
- We will continue to measure, and improve, the diversity of our candidates for the following positions: summer law clerks, entry-level associates, lateral hiring of senior associates or partners and for internal partnership and other promotion decisions.
- We will support organizations in the legal profession and in our communities that promote and encourage diversity, equity and inclusion and assist diverse populations.