Managing Shareholder — Hooper, Lundy & Bookman, P.C.
I, Mark Reagan, personally commit to the following:
- Personally actively and regularly connect with underrepresented attorneys, including women and other diverse attorneys, and schedule in person meetings with them, in order to improve access to senior management, particularly when visiting other firm offices.
- Personally and actively participate in the firm’s Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) Committee and meet periodically with the DEI Committee Co-Chairs and the firm’s Chief Operating Officer (our DEI Task Force), to provide leadership, advice, counsel, and support as needed to help sustain the DEI work and activities’ forward momentum as well as their leadership engagement.
- As part of that process, personally shepherd the firm’s DEI Strategic Plan (the “Plan”) initiatives by:
- Guiding the implementation process;
- Participating in a comprehensive annual review of the Plan to assess overall progress for the Plan as a whole, across all of the particular strategic areas of focus;
- Providing regular Plan updates to the Board by the DEI Committee Co-Chairs, both to inform the Board as well to provide opportunities for inclusive leadership development;;
- Encouraging prioritization of DEI efforts from the entire firm, by including personal Plan updates as part of my report to the firm at quarterly firmwide state of the firm meetings;
- Working with DEI Committee Co-chairs to provide a joint annual DEI Strategic Plan update to the entire firm.
- Personally involve myself in firm efforts to achieve the Plan goals of continued increases in the percentage of diverse and non-male attorneys in the equity partner ranks over the three-year period commencing January 2021, and annually increase diversity among associates in the firm, with the goal of maintaining at least that level of women and diverse attorneys through to achieving partnership by 2028, including through lateral hiring.
- Meet with the firm’s current and previous LCLD Fellows and Pathfinders each year to discuss progress and recommendations for further advancing the firm's DEI efforts.
- Personally keep DEI issues front and center across the organization to emphasize the importance of maintaining a diverse, equitable and inclusive workforce at all levels of the firm and by demonstrating my personal commitment to this effort, to hopefully inspire all firm members individually and the firm as a whole to do likewise.
- Diversity Equity and Inclusion (“DEI”) Committee members will collaborate with the firm’s Professional Development Committee to incorporate the DEI Strategic Plan (the “Plan”) developmental initiatives into the firm’s training and mentoring program.
- As part of the effort to continue to diversify our associate and partner ranks, as well as generate more inclusive promotion and management opportunities, the firm is participating in Diversity Lab’s Midsize Mansfield Certification program and working to attain Mansfield Certification by the Fall of 2023.
- In order to make real change in health law, the firm is working to help develop a pipeline of diverse attorneys interested in health law by hosting events at/with one or more HBCU law schools by the end of 2023.
- In order to be able to better evaluate and improve opportunities for women and diverse attorneys’ contributions to significant clients and matters, and thereby improve their profile for promotion, compensation and client-facing positions, the firm is working to improve data collection for matter team composition and magnitude of assignments.
- Involve broad organizational participation in the preparation and distribution of the firm’s annual DEI report for client and firmwide distribution.
- In order to better ensure inclusion, the firm is actively working to increase opportunities for more interaction across offices, departments, and practice areas, with an eye toward increasing interactions and developing stronger relationships among our attorneys and staff across the entire firm.
- As part of the firm’s investment in DEI, the firm will adopt and implement in 2022 a policy to provide billable hours credit for DEI work and activities.
- To support the goals of inclusion in firm compensation, management, and client relations, the firm will adopt in 2022 billing and sourcing policies that will allow for transparent and fair opportunities for women and diverse attorneys to be recognized for billing and sourcing credit.