I, Lou Patalano, personally commit to the following:
- I will personally champion diversity, equity and inclusion in my organization, my community, the health care industry, and the legal profession through leading by example.
- I will use my voice, influence and resources to publicly advocate for diversity, equity and inclusion and uplift and amplify other diverse voices.
- I commit to continuous learning about diversity, equity and inclusion generally and Leadership Council on Legal Diversity (LCLD) development programs specifically.
- I will participate in and support LCLD development programs that aid me in continuing to build diversity in the legal profession.
- I will support Sentara’s diversity and inclusion strategy’s three pillars – a diverse and talented workforce, an inclusive and supportive workplace and outreach and engagement with our community.
- I will use diverse interview panels and actively participate in the recruitment of a talent pool that is diverse.
- I will mentor and retain diverse team members and focus on their development, advancement and succession planning
- I will build partnerships with local law schools to promote minority student development while sponsoring an internship program.
- I will build a tradition of hiring diverse legal interns and construct a pipeline for our future staff attorney rotational program.
- I will create a culture of communication and transparency within the department that will allow for a safe, open dialogue about diversity, equity and inclusion matters.
- I will seek an annual report from our outside law firms highlighting their diversity, equity and inclusion initiatives.