I, Karen Wilson Thissen, personally commit to the following:
- I will use my senior leadership position at the Company to visibly champion and bring to life the Company's internal and external D&I equity commitments.
- I will ensure that diversity, equity, and inclusion continue to be visible core values of the department, and are reflected in how we recruit, develop, retain, and advance talent.
- I will track and report on progress in diverse representation and progression for historically underrepresented groups within the department.
- I will relentlessly seek out and recruit diverse talent and have my team do the same for any open positions.
- I will seek and leverage opportunities to be an advocate for meaningfully increasing diversity in the legal profession.
- I will connect with peers and national and local resources, including LCLD, to share best practices and support initiatives that advance diversity in the legal profession.
- I will dedicate significant time and financial resources to organizations focused on supporting and advancing underrepresented groups and breaking down opportunity gaps.
- I will meet one-on-one with diverse members on my team to listen to them and let them know they are supported.
- I will ensure that our legal service providers understand, value, and advance our D&I expectations and I will direct significant spend towards minority-owned law firms and minority lead partners.
- I will critically evaluate and employ law firm metrics and survey data to better inform the D&I status of potential and Preferred Providers.
- I will partner with Twin Cities Diversity in Practice to invite underrepresented law school students to spend time at the Company either through summer or post-law school intern programs.
- I will sponsor participants in the LCLD Fellows and Pathfinder programs, engaging directly with active participants and alumni and identifying ways to enhance their visibility and opportunities within the department.
- I will focus on having diversity in succession planning for internal leadership positions.
- I will ensure an ongoing and effective Law Department DE&I Committee that builds and strengthens diversity and inclusion through policy development, programming, leadership opportunities, and team connection activities.
- I will actively support and leverage the Company's Allyship programs, Courageous Conversations, and related D&I programming and resources.
- I will include in each Department meeting a meaningful inclusion topic and regularly report on D&I goals, initiatives, resources, and results.
- We will leverage the Department's unique skills to support the Company's racial equity initiatives in the local community, including through pro bono representation and government relations efforts.
- We will support and partner with local organizations, including diversity bar association groups and Twin Cities Diversity in Practice, to support diversity in the local legal community.