Executive Vice President and General Counsel — Johnson Controls
I, John Donofrio, personally commit to the following:
I believe in creating and fostering a diverse and inclusive environment. Our department and our organization are stronger, more innovative, and more impactful when our workforce is diverse and when everyone feels as though they belong.
To that end, I am sharing my own personal commitments related to diversity, equity and inclusion and my role as General Counsel for Johnson Controls.
- I personally commit to continuing to serve as a visible, outspoken, passionate leader and advocate for the promotion of diversity and inclusion at all levels of Johnson Controls.
- I will sponsor Johnson Controls’ Office of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion with the goal to align our diversity and inclusion initiatives with our business strategies and provide support to our Business Resource Groups.
- I will use my platform as the top legal officer of one of the world’s largest and most respected multinationals to advocate for diversity and inclusion throughout our profession and our society.
- I will lead by example by both fostering an inclusive culture within Johnson Controls’ Law and Policy Department, as well as maintaining a diverse team, including a diverse leadership team, by retaining diverse talent by providing development and promotion opportunities and recruiting qualified diverse talent.
- I will use internal and external opportunities to communicate Johnson Controls’ commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- I will ensure that the Johnson Controls’ Law and Policy Department continues to commit department resources, through a dedicated Diversity and Inclusion Committee, to ensure that we meet our diversity and inclusion goals, provide a safe space for our employees to engage in open discussion about, and gain a deeper understanding of diversity and inclusion issues, while acting as leaders and promoters of diversity and inclusion approaches for the Company.
- I will expect my direct reports to actively sponsor and support the Law and Policy Department’s Diversity and Inclusion Committee and Johnson Controls’ Business Resource Groups, while serving as supportive allies to our diverse colleagues.
- I will expect my leaders to be knowledgeable of the diversity and inclusion contributions of their team members and appropriately recognize those efforts in the performance review and compensation processes.
- I will ensure that the Law and Policy Department is diverse at all levels by requiring that we begin with a diverse slate of qualified candidates for open positions, have diverse interview panels, and make hiring decisions only when we have met these requirements, unless I personally approve an exception.
- I will support JCI’s Board of Directors and Senior Leadership Team to advance diversity, equity, and inclusion initiatives within the Company, including our goal to increase the number of minority (US) and women (global) leaders.
- I will support JCI’s intern programs, including the Law & Policy Department’s summer intern program, with a focus on qualified women and diverse candidates, to provide students with access and exposure to future job opportunities.
- I will partner with our outside law firms and support, review, and measure their commitment to diversity and the results they achieve. To that end, I will hold annual meetings with our outside law firms to review their diversity and inclusion impact to ensure alignment with Johnson Controls’ diversity, equity and inclusion priorities and share best practices.
- I will encourage and financially support partnerships with external diversity organizations, including the Leadership Council on Legal Diversity (LCLD), who share our commitment to fostering diversity and inclusion within the legal profession, support our ability to recruit, retain and promote diverse talent through job posting opportunities, and serve as a source for learning about diversity and inclusion approaches and ideas that we can consider adopting at Johnson Controls.
- I will cross-collaborate, openly share, and gain insight from other General Counsels to advance diversity within the legal community.