Global Managing Partner — K&L Gates LLP
I, James Segerdahl, personally commit to the following:
- I will use my position and voice to communicate to the firm regularly my and our firm’s commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion as core firm values, and our shared responsibility to foster and further these values in all aspects of the firm’s operations.
- I will support and advocate for continuing initiatives and new initiatives designed to foster and further these firm values.
- I will continue to oversee and ensure the development and enhancement of workflow processes that will foster and further these firm values.
- I will continue to promote leadership and partner and firm accountability with respect to these core firm values, including with respect to hiring, advancement, and retention of diverse talent, and the promotion of an inclusive workforce, and ensure we track in a meaningful way our progress.
- I will make myself available to hear and act on ideas to foster and further these firm values.
- I will ensure that all significant strategic and firm decisions are made with the impact on these core firm values in mind, and with the goal of furthering and fostering them.
- I will continue to ensure that our Management team meetings routinely, substantively and regularly include reports on progress and impact regarding diversity, equity and inclusion, and that the firm’s Diversity Committee and Women in the Profession Committee are supported and active.
- Our firm will continue to ensure that the impact of the core firm values of diversity, equity and inclusion are taken into account in all firm strategic decisions.
- Our firm will continue to embrace and expand innovative programming and initiatives, including our Diversity Hours Policy, which credits all lawyers worldwide for their time invested in promoting diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Our firm will continue to embrace and expand other educational and community oriented initiatives designed to foster and further our firm’s commitment, including firmwide/all personnel programs such as the “Conversations about Race” series featuring outside speakers and designed to facilitate education and understanding, and to foster and further our firm’s commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Our firm will support and implement a retreat for diverse lawyers designed to build community, advance client relationships, and otherwise further and foster the firm’s commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Our firm will continue to engage in comprehensive initiatives and follow-up, including employee engagement surveys, designed to generate ideas for improvement and to foster a diverse, equitable and inclusive workforce and culture that reflects our values.
- Our firm will continue actively to partner with clients (and look for new opportunities to do so) interested in enhancing opportunities for diverse talent in the legal profession generally and in client matters involving the firm, including through our “Power of Partnership” diversity focused 1L summer program, secondments, and other related programs. We will look to create opportunities with clients to further diversify the legal profession and work together to create and provide diverse teams for client service.
- Our firm will continue to invest in programs and initiatives designed to ensure that client relationship training and opportunities are made available to diverse talent in a meaningful and intentional way, and are not left to chance, such as our “Pathway to Success” client-development program.
- Our firm will continue to press forward on our K&L Gates for Equal Justice and related pro bono efforts.
- Our firm will continue with and continually enhance its regular anti-bias trainings, and continual attention to the recruitment process, including interviewer bias training in order to further and foster the core values of diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Our firm will continue its commitment to Mansfield Certification principles.
- Our firm will continue to work with LCLD and other organizations to further the core values of diversity, equity and inclusion in our firm and beyond.