I, Heidi Mason, personally commit to the following:
- I will hold myself and the Legal Division’s leadership team accountable as DE&I champions.
- I will direct in-house counsel and legal staff to research and consider diverse firms or diverse attorney leads at majority firms when hiring outside counsel or legal industry vendors.
- To foster a culture of accountability and transparency, I will meet at least annually with the Legal Division’s employees to discuss our DE&I efforts, activities and progress.
- I will support and encourage participation in programs that provide meaningful leadership and professional development opportunities for diverse attorneys and legal staff.
- I will recognize individuals and teams within the Legal Division who demonstrate tangible commitment and contributions to DE&I initiatives and efforts.
- I will actively support and advocate on behalf of the Legal Division’s DE&I Council and its initiatives and attend at least one meeting quarterly.
As the chief legal officer, I view it as critical that we have an inclusive workplace culture that enables employees to bring their whole selves to work and that diversity, equity and inclusion form a cornerstone of our business effort. I will use my position to ensure that:
- Freddie Mac will promote diverse candidate slates when hiring new attorneys and legal staff.
- Freddie Mac will support organizations focused on promoting DE&I in the legal profession, such as affinity bar associations, LCLD, MCCA and NAMWOLF, and champion employee participation in these organizations.
- Freddie Mac will promote DE&I by (a) developing qualified diverse suppliers through our Supplier Academy program and (b) supporting other diverse outside counsel outreach and development efforts. Further, the Legal Division will increase the proportion of its spend on diverse suppliers (including diverse law firms and legal industry vendors) in relation to the overall Legal Division spend on suppliers.
- Through our Engage Excellence Program, Freddie Mac will continue to advance diverse representation in the law firms it engages by requiring that such firms implement policies that promote diversity in hiring, retention and promotion.
- Freddie Mac will specifically advance DE&I in capital markets transactions by (a) at least annually, engaging in a dialogue with existing outside counsel at majority firms to review each firm’s hiring, retention and promotion of diverse attorneys and staff, together with allocation of origination credit for these transactions; and (b) leveraging relationships with affinity bar associations and other groups to develop strategies to more effectively identify and engage diverse law firms to serve as counsel for these transactions.
- Freddie Mac will promote pro bono legal service organizations and support employee pro bono work that benefit underrepresented groups and fosters DE&I.