I, Heath Eskalyo, personally commit to the following:
- I will use my voice as a leader in my organization and in the profession to advocate for diversity and inclusion in the legal profession and in my community.
- I will use my position among my firm's leadership to advocate for changes to improve the equity of processes such as work assignments, hiring, and compensation.
- I will meet bi-annually with my organization's LCLD Fellows, Pathfinders, and Alumni to discuss their experiences within the organization, and require each individual to come to the meeting with a recommendation for how the organization could improve.
- I will reinforce a culture within my organization that encourages employees to come to and leave work each day feeling that they have been authentically and visibly who they are, and by ensuring that employees feel valued, heard, and empowered as professionals.
- I will publicly demonstrate my commitment by using my platform to advocate for greater diversity in the legal profession and for the removal of systemic barriers to entry and advancement, through public engagements, by leveraging my professional network, through continued participation in and sponsorship of conferences and diverse bar events, and by advancing policies and initiatives to support this goal.
- I will require human resources department and the firm’s diversity and inclusion committee to prepare and present to firm leadership an annual diversity and inclusion action plan and related metrics.
- I will create a directory of lawyers who identify as diverse, and I will work with my firm to create an internal process to evaluate all client teams for diversity.
- I will ensure that 30% of the lawyers in my firm are diverse, and are hired based on merit.
- Within two years, I will work with my firm to create partner compensation incentives so that partners are evaluated on their personal contributions to diversity and inclusion initiatives, including demographics of client matter teams, occasions when the partner has designated a diverse lawyer to serve in a senior client relationship role, introduction of diverse lawyers into client relationships.
- I will drive accountability for diversity & inclusion by:
- Relying on diversity data to inform our progress on diversity within the firm;
- Setting diversity-related goals to help hold ourselves accountable for progress; and
- Driving leader and manager accountability for diversity and inclusion and career development by making diversity and inclusion a factor in leader and manager performance assessments.
- I will continue to increase diverse representation within my firm by:
- Maintaining policies and practices to increase diversity in hiring, including posting positions externally and requiring diverse slating; and
- Embracing a multi-geography talent strategy and a flexible/hybrid workplace model that enhances recruitment and retention from a robust, national talent pool of qualified professionals.
- I will ensure equal opportunity within my firm by:
- Ensuring policies are in place to promote equal opportunity, including open selection for management positions and increasing focus on diverse project teams;
- Creating increased transparency for career development opportunities; and
- Continuing the routine review of promotion and other employment decisions to ensure consideration of all qualified employees.