I, Deborah Telman, personally commit to the following:
- Use my voice, experience, and influence to publicly advocate for systemic change to remove I&D impediments in the legal community.
- Serve as an Executive Sponsor to GLOBE (Gilead Leadership of Black Employees), one of Gilead’s six employee resource groups, and continue our efforts to build community and create opportunity for our members and allies.
- Partner with Gilead's Early Talent and University Relations team to recruit historically underrepresented law school students to participate in Propel, Gilead's early talent internship program that offers law students unique exposure to in-house experience early in their legal careers.
- Meet at least quarterly with the Gilead Legal Department’s I&D team.
- Achieve Mansfield Certification for Gilead’s Legal Department, expected August 2023.
- Increase engagement with minority- and women-owned law firms and business service providers.
- Continue to invest in internal sponsorship program to work with historically underrepresented legal employees, in which Gilead’s first cohort included 62 participants and the current cohort includes 68 participants.
- Require that for all U.S.-based outside counsel law firms, at least half of the partners leading Gilead legal matters, and at least half of the attorney teams working on Gilead legal matters, are diverse.
- Track outside counsel diversity metrics and use those metrics for future engagements, selecting firms to participate in our networking activities, and for diversity review discussions if firms are not meeting Gilead’s expectations.
- Host Virtual Legal Open House for diverse lawyers, as well as college and law students to meet Gilead lawyers and legal professionals and learn about our work.
- Continue to seek diverse lawyers to participate in secondments within Gilead’s Legal Department.
- Identify opportunities to strengthen the development and advancement of diverse talent, including to leadership roles within our department. This includes, among other things:
- Internal I&D metrics tracking and goal setting
- Succession plans metric
- Promotion pipeline diversity
- Education and training programs/opportunities on I&D issues and objectives