I, Deborah Read, personally commit to the following:
- I will continue to work alongside our Diversity, Equity & Inclusion (DEI) team to develop best practices to recruit, retain, and advance diverse attorneys.
- I will further my own learning and growth by attending DEI educational sessions led by industry professionals.
- I will host a forum at least twice annually to hear feedback directly from traditionally underrepresented groups within the firm about the firm’s diversity efforts and to learn how those efforts may be enhanced.
- I will use my positions in civic organizations to enhance those organizations’ DEI efforts, initiatives, and results.
- I will continue a practice I commenced of requiring unconscious bias educational sessions in advance of every compensation-setting process for lawyers at our firm, and I will ensure this practice is expanded to compensation-setting processes for firm staff.
- I will model inclusive behavior by developing a relationship each year with a particular diverse lawyer to learn about his or her practice and career goals, to help build connections across the firm, and to open the door to opportunities within the firm and in client relationships.
- I will continue to work with firm clients to undertake jointly programs designed to advance DEI.
- Thompson Hine will create a committee comprised of Practice Group Leaders and Office Partners in Charge who meet quarterly with a goal of strengthening the firm’s ability to recruit, retain and advance the firm’s diverse legal talent. The committee will submit an annual report to me, as the Firm’s Managing Partner, and the firm’s Executive Committee detailing its progress and further recommendations.
- Thompson Hine will support the strategic advancement of diverse attorneys professionally, and in their communities, through Firm programs providing professional development opportunities with a focus on inclusive leadership development, education, and awareness.
- Thompson Hine will support specific initiatives for diverse mid and senior level associates to work closely with influential partners who can enhance their visibility and advancement to partnership at the firm.
- Thompson Hine will engage with our DEI team to develop diversity curriculum to include training, programs, and events to build awareness and understanding of diversity issues and topics within the firm.
- Thompson Hine will host and sponsor programs, events and workshops targeted to attract and contribute to the success of diverse law students at selected national or local law schools.
- Thompson Hine will establish a DEI progress review taskforce comprised of members of the executive committee and other firm leaders who will oversee the results of the Firm’s Diversity Action Plan.