I, Bruce Byrd, personally commit to the following:
- I will use my position, resources, and voice to advocate for inclusion and diversity in the legal profession and in my community.
- Every year, I will personally sponsor and mentor a diverse lawyer or legal professional in my department.
- I will fund participation for emerging talent to participate in external professional development programs.
- I will require my leadership team to include inclusion and diversity as a key factor in succession planning for leadership positions.
- I will meet annually with the relationship or managing partner at each of my preferred firms to ensure that they understand my personal expectations about inclusiveness and diversity on the work that they perform for our company.
- I will learn how origination credit is apportioned at my preferred firms to ensure that, when diverse lawyers are selected to lead a matter for our company, they are given proper credit.
- We will track and transparently share the diversity demographics of our legal department.
- We will have a diverse candidate pool for every open position in the legal department.
- We will support our department employees to take time away from work to participate in pro bono activities.
- We will collectively support the work of our Inclusion & Diversity (I&D) Committee, which is implementing more than 10 strategic initiatives focused on professional development, supplier diversity, and talent and recruiting.
- We will require our top outside law firms to report their diversity demographics every six months through JusticeBid.
- We will set a goal of women- and minority-owned law firms and service providers accounting for 5% of our legal services spend by the end of 2023.
- We will require all lawyers who engage with outside counsel to have open conversations about the importance of inclusiveness and to identify cross-training opportunities.