I, Andrew Kassner, personally commit to the following:
- Use my voice and service as a leader in my organization and in the profession to advocate for and act upon DE&I in the legal profession and in my community.
- Use my position among my firm’s leadership to advocate for changes to improve the equity of processes such as work assignments, hiring, promotion, designation of client and firm leadership roles and compensation.
- Meet quarterly with my organization’s diverse lawyers and encourage them to share recommendations for how the organization could improve.
- Sponsor one diverse junior attorney and one diverse new partner each year. As part of this relationship, I will ensure that each builds an internal network through introductions I facilitate, and each receives a concrete stretch opportunity for internal/ external visibility each quarter. I also will engage in reverse mentoring and seek feedback from those I sponsor.
- Continue to promote our diversity billable hour credit policy to recognize the important contributions of colleagues to advance our diversity, equity and inclusion goals.
- Require practice group leaders, with the assistance of the Chief Diversity Officer, to prepare and present to firm leadership annual DE&I action plans and related metrics. Through our D&I team, I will ensure practice group leaders have data and tools to implement plans.
- Share access to the directory of lawyers who identify as diverse and communicate about the availability and value of the directory with practice group leaders and others engaged in building client teams.
- Work with my firm to create an internal process to evaluate client teams for diversity and communicate the importance of our real-time, automated client team dashboard tool and customized DE&I plans for Top 50 clients.
- Within the next 18 months, develop client succession plans that ensure diverse partners are in position to succeed a senior partner for four of our larger clients for which we expect a transition in the next three years.
- Select 10 clients each year, and work with them and our Chief Diversity Officer to increase the leadership opportunities for and participation of diverse attorneys, with a goal of 30% diversity in leadership and 40% diversity in participation (and 50% within five years).
- Within two years, work with my firm to ensure that partners are evaluated on (and that compensation factors in) their personal contributions to DE&I, including demographics of client matter teams, occasions when the partner has designated a diverse lawyer to serve in a senior client relationship role, introduction of diverse lawyers into client relationships, sponsorship of diverse colleague, etc.