President & Managing Partner — Cozen O'Connor P.C.
I, Vincent McGuinness, personally commit to the following:
- I will use my voice as a leader in my organization and in the profession to advocate for DE&I in the legal profession and in my community.
- I will meet quarterly with my organization’s Fellows, Pathfinders, and Alumni to discuss their experiences within the organization, and require each individual to come to the meeting with a recommendation for how the organization could improve.
- I will use my position among my firm’s leadership to advocate for changes to improve the equity of processes such as work assignments, hiring, and compensation.
- I will personally sponsor one diverse junior attorney and one diverse new partner each year. As part of this relationship, I will ensure that each protégé receives a concrete stretch opportunity for internal/ external visibility each quarter.
- I will speak with 10 GC/LCLD Member clients about opportunities to collaborate to advance the careers of named diverse lawyers within the firm, through opportunities like secondments, inclusion of diverse lawyers in partner succession planning, etc.
- I will require leadership to prepare and present to firm leadership annual DE&I action plans and related metrics.
- I will create a directory of lawyers who identify as diverse, and circulate it with practice group leaders and others building client teams. I will work with my firm to create an internal process to evaluate all client teams for diversity.
- I will review my firm’s origination credit process to ensure that practices such as credit-sharing and developing business are equitable.
- I will ensure that 30% of the lawyers in my firm’s sponsorship program are diverse, and that diverse lawyers in the program are sponsored by senior leaders within the firm.
- I will work with my firm to create partner compensation incentives so that partners are evaluated on their personal contributions to DE&I, including demographics of client matter teams, occasions when the partner has designated a diverse lawyer to serve in a senior client relationship role, introduction of diverse lawyers into client relationships, etc.