I, Mark Gralen, personally commit to the following:
- Use my voice as a member of senior management to advocate for diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) within our company, our membership of insured law firms, and the broader community of organizations and individuals we interact with in our business.
- Partner with a member firm in Chicago in 2021 to schedule an LCLD Leadership Lunch and select at least two LCLD Fellows in attendance for follow-up conversations.
- Connect annually with other general counsel in my industry to discuss how to promote DEI internally and with legal service providers.
- Broaden my horizons by performing volunteer work for service organizations in the Chicago area that promote DEI.
- Include DEI goals, efforts, and progress on the senior management agenda each quarter, including progress of hiring and advancement of diverse personnel.
- Commit company resources towards organizations focused on DEI.
- Require at least one diverse candidate to be interviewed for every professional position.
- Require implicit bias training for all management employees.
- Emphasize the importance of DEI in the selection by member firms and approval by ALAS of counsel hired to defend member firms in claims under our insurance policies.
- Plan a “Defense Counsel Summit,” which likely will be held in conjunction with a national company conference on DEI topics. The Summit will provide risk management and claims management programming for potential diverse defense counsel candidates. It will also provide opportunities for such candidates to network with other attendees.
- Require annual reports from each investment manager identifying diverse members of investment teams currently managing any part of the company’s investment portfolio. Measure the progress of each manager in hiring and retaining diverse members of those teams on an annual basis.
- Engage in outreach to LCLD Fellows in member firms to develop dialogue about how to advance DEI goals in the profession.
- Strongly encourage DEI in our engagement letters and other communications with outside counsel, consultants and other vendors we engage for services.