I, Kathleen Furey McDonough, personally commit to the following:
- As the Chair of the firm and the Executive Committee liaison to the firm’s Diversity and Inclusion Committee, I will be a driving force to ensure that the firm provides and promotes a diverse and inclusive environment for all, within which each person can succeed professionally regardless of race, ethnicity, nationality, gender, gender identity, gender expression, religious beliefs, sexual orientation, age, disability or other protected category.
- I will ensure that diversity, equity and inclusion is a significant consideration in every major firm decision.
- Identify clients to work collaboratively on diversity, equity and inclusion initiatives.
- Meet with our LCLD Pathfinders, Fellows and Alumni on a quarterly basis to listen to and learn from their experiences for the purpose of identifying how their learnings can enrich and expand the firm’s diversity and inclusion initiatives.
- Commit a significant portion of my year annually to mentor associates and junior partners.
- Hold a series of firm wide training programs on unconscious bias, allyship and develop a firm wide diversity, equity and inclusion action plan.
- Lead a review, assessment and evaluation of the firm’s systems with respect to recruiting, professional development including work assignments and the annual review process and implement any necessary changes to minimize bias and create more opportunities for diverse associates to experience professional growth and success.
- Increase the number and percentage of diverse law students invited to participate in our summer associate program.
- Review our lateral hiring practice to ensure that we consider a diverse slate of candidates when hiring a lateral associate or recruiting a lateral partner.
- Act on our commitment to be an advocate for racial justice by working with our partners in the Law Firm Antiracism Alliance. Increase the number of partners and associates working on our Medical Legal Partnership with Community Legal Aid (First Chance Delaware).
- Partner with local high schools and colleges to expose students to potential careers in the law and continue our partnership with the Boys and Girls Club, My Sister’s Keeper, United Way and other agencies to serve the community.
- Recognizing our Diversity and Inclusion Committee has a broad mandate, work with the Chief Diversity Officer and the Diversity and Inclusion Committee to establish specific measurable goals with respect to programming, communication, recruiting and professional development and hold the Chief Diversity Officer and committee accountable by requiring semi-annual reporting and assessment of progress.