I, John Koneck, personally commit to the following:
- To use my voice and position to champion inclusion and diversity efforts of the firm, our attorneys, and our professionals.
- To support our LCLD Fellows, Pathfinders, and Scholars by meeting with each of them individually at least twice annually.
- To support our attorneys of color by meeting with each one annually.
- To support our Diverse Attorney Resource Group by meeting with the members of that group annually.
- To seek out opportunities to partner with our clients and efforts to advance our and our clients’ inclusion and diversity efforts.
- To discuss as appropriate our inclusion and diversity efforts with each client that I meet with as part of our formal client interview program.
As a firm, we will commit to improve inclusion and increase diversity in our firm by focusing on these key areas:
- Education & Dialogue: Providing continued education and dialogue opportunities through I.D.E.A.S., the firm’s Inclusion & Diversity Education & Awareness Series.
- Policies and Procedures: Examining systematically our formal and informal policies and practices (including those focused on practice development opportunities, mentorship, work allocation, access to resources, and leadership paths) to identify and interrupt structural and systemic bias that exists.
- Hiring: Expanding the candidate pool for positions at the firm and training our interviewers to interrupt their own bias when meeting with candidates.
- Retention: Improving our inclusion policies and practices within the firm, and identifying and implementing new ways to lead inclusively.
- Leadership and Advancement: Considering diverse candidates for every available leadership opportunity, committee position, and promotion in our firm, and to meet annually the criteria for Mansfield Rule certification.
- Community Efforts: Providing financial support and service to organizations that work to provide equal access to justice, and providing financial support and pro bono assistance to anti-racism and social and economic justice projects in all communities where we have offices.
- Reduce, with a goal of eliminating, the undesired departure of lawyers of color.
- Increasing the number of lawyers of color by 10%.
- Participating in diversity and inclusion efforts with at least five clients.
- Requiring evidence of meaningful consideration of diverse candidates for every leadership opportunity, committee position, and promotion opportunity in our firm.