I, JoAnn Chavez, personally commit to the following:
- I will serve as a thought partner to DTE Energy’s Executive Leadership Team on diversity, equity and inclusion issues including being an active member of the DTE Energy’s Executive DE&I Committee.
- I will use my voice and influence to publicly advocate for material systemic change to address diversity, equity and inclusion in the legal community.
- I will participate in and support the development programs of the Leadership Counsel on Legal Diversity (LCLD) and the Minority Corporate Counsel Association (MCCA).
- I will partner with a law firm to host an LCLD Leadership Lunch and select at least two Fellows in attendance for a follow-up conversation.
- I will mentor diverse lawyers and students as part of the National Hispanic Bar Association’s PODER25 talent pipeline initiative.
- I will ensure that all leaders in my legal department have a workplan that includes DE&I engagement.
- We will formalize the DTE Energy’s Office of General Counsel DE&I strategy with a focus on education and awareness, mentorship, supplier diversity, metrics and accountability for the leadership team.
- I will ensure that stretch and cross-disciplinary assignments are provided to diverse law department attorneys to enhance their visibility and position them well for advancement I will require a diverse slate of candidates and interviewing panel for open positions in the legal department and that the hiring managers and interviewers understand the business need for diverse talent and representation.
- I will include DE&I topics in our departments Bi-Annual Town Hall Meetings.
- I will evaluate active and future law firms based on presence of Hispanic and African American counsel and partner with firms to provide more opportunities to develop their pipeline of racially and ethnically diverse counsel.
- I will support our team’s participation in Leadership Counsel on Legal Diversity, Minority Corporate Counsel Association, Wolverine Bar Association or other minority bar associations and local chapters.
- I will continue DTE Energy’s legal department Summer Internship program with a focus on racially and ethnically diverse 1L candidates and provide students with access and exposure to improve their future job opportunities.
- I will continue to support DTE Energy’s Summer Student Program (STEP) which provides under-represented, undergraduate college students with exposure to the energy industry and experience in a corporate environment. In addition, I will support and mentor those students interested in pursuing a career in law.