I, Gary Wingens, personally commit to the following:
- Engage with partners in leadership positions within the firm (including members of our Executive Board and practice group leaders) about the importance of their personal support for our firm’s diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) efforts, including their personal efforts to:
- attract, sponsor, retain and promote diverse attorneys,
- support new practice group assignment systems, and
- participate in firm-wide DEI-related programming .
- Visibly and publicly support the efforts of our firm’s diverse employee affinity groups.
- Continue to chair the firm’s DEI steering committee.
- Regularly and transparently communicate to our firm community our goals for DEI and our progress toward achieving those goals.
- Meet regularly on a one-on-one basis with our diverse partners to learn about how they are experiencing our firm and client development opportunities.
- Sponsor the career development of at least one lawyer from an underrepresented background each year and ensure that that lawyer receives meaningful client opportunities and opportunities for internal/external visibility.
- Mentor a diverse high school student through the Thrive Scholars/Law Track program.
- Continue to commit firm resources to the development of metrics-based practice group DEI plans, including equitable assignment systems and recruiting efforts geared to increasing the percentage of diverse lawyers who are interviewed and ultimately hired by our firm.
- Quarterly review of how our firm and practice groups are progressing against the metrics in our firm and practice group DEI plans.
- Increase our capacity to measure and financially reward contributions of partners toward our DEI goals – including their personal commitment to DEI, the demographics of client teams they create and the opportunities that they afford to diverse lawyers.
- Ensure that our associate and counsel compensation system rewards contributions to our DEI efforts.
- Continue to expand the firm’s sponsorship program.
- Encourage challenging conversations across the firm community in an effort to foster inclusion and create understanding of the backgrounds, identities and experiences that our lawyers and BSG staff bring to the firm.
- Sponsor the Thrive Scholars/Law Track program for two diverse low-income high school students in attendance at Essex County, New Jersey high schools.
- Broaden our DEI goals and efforts to more fully include our BSG team.
- Refine and expand our use of dashboard metrics to support our practice group DEI plans.
- Expand our sponsorship program to include at least 12 diverse lawyers over the next 24 months.
- Provide more actionable DEI metrics to our admissions and compensation committees.
- Increase the percentage of diverse lateral associates (above 3rd year) and lateral partners.
- Achieve Mansfield 4.0 certification.