I, Bob Johnson, personally commit to the following:
- I will use my voice as a leader in my organization and in the profession to advocate for Diversity, Equity & Inclusion in the legal profession, within my organization and in my community.
- I will continue to oversee the professional development, promotion, and long term success of diverse lawyers within the legal department, and I will continue to communicate with them personally and make myself available to learn from them, guide them, and help them in their profession.
- I will meet annually with at least five other general counsels in my industry to discuss how to promote Diversity, Equity & Inclusion internally and among our legal service providers.
- I will meet twice a year with my organization’s LCLD Fellows, Pathfinders, and Alumni to discuss their experiences within the organization, and ask each individual to come to the meeting with a recommendation for how the organization could improve.
- I will annually sponsor/mentor at least one diverse lawyer within my legal department.
- I will ensure that all lawyers in my legal department know my expectations for their Diversity, Equity & Inclusion support and engagement. I will also monitor diverse lawyers progress through communication with their supervisors and support identification of stretch opportunities.
- I will encourage diverse slates for all hiring/promotions within the legal department. I will ensure that CLO leaders have a lens for understanding the business need for diverse talent/representation.
- I will ensure my organization conducts a regular pay review based on race, ethnicity, or gender and adjust for unexplained pay differences.
- I will support diversity at all levels in the legal department to ensure diversity in the pipeline for future leadership of the department.
- I will continue to support diversity at the senior leadership level within the legal department. My current leadership team consists of 70% diverse attorneys.
- We will continue to participate in and support LCLD.
- We will measure our success not only by the percentage of headcount represented by diverse individuals at any one time, but by their inclusion, growth and development, contributions to USAA success over the course of their careers, and retention.