I, Barbara Duffy, personally commit to the following:
- Use my voice as a leader to advocate for diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) in my firm, in the legal profession, and in my community.
- Continue supporting and personally participating in Lane Powell’s DEI initiatives and commitments under our three-year DEI Strategic Plan.
- Promote inclusion and belonging through my firm and act as an ally to women and individuals from underrepresented or marginalized groups through my words and actions.
- Schedule 1:1 coffee or lunch meetings with attorneys from underrepresented groups to learn about their experience and provide access to senior management.
- Attend LCLD programs and learn from members of LCLD about DEI current issues and best practices for law firms.
- Meet twice yearly with my firm’s current and alumni LCLD Fellows and Pathfinders to discuss their experiences and their recommendations for advancing DEI at Lane Powell and in the legal profession.
- Meet annually with my firm’s Women’s Initiative leaders to discuss strategies for advancing the careers of our women attorneys.
- Personally participate in my firm’s Women in Leadership: Senior Living & Care initiative in partnership with our clients and other women leaders in the senior living industry.
- Seek out opportunities to collaborate with clients, including General Counsel LCLD Member clients, to partner on DEI initiatives or otherwise advance the careers of diverse lawyers through secondments or other relationship-building activities.
- Continue implementing Lane Powell’s three-year DEI Strategic Plan for 2021-2023 and meet 2022 milestones.
- Successfully complete the Mansfield Rule 5.0 Certification Process.
- Develop and implement an interviewer training to reduce potential bias in the attorney recruiting and hiring process.
- Increase DEI awareness and knowledge through enhanced learning opportunities for staff and attorneys.
- Provide access to information to all firm attorneys about criteria and the selection process for leadership roles at our firm, including the President, Vice President, Board of Directors, Attorney Advancement Committee, and Practice Team Leaders.
- Promote leadership accountability by creating a practice team leader evaluation and compensation model that assesses their personal contributions to DEI.
- Continue our sponsorship of two diversity fellowship programs for 1Ls: The Gregoire Fellows Program in Seattle and the Multnomah Bar Association Fellows Program in Portland.
- Adopt and implement 50 billable credit hours for associates making meaningful contributions to DEI efforts at the firm or in the profession.
- Measure our inclusiveness through a firmwide survey.
- Create inaugural DEI Annual Report to share with clients.
- Raise visibility internally about LCLD programs and opportunities.
- Launch new Integration Committee to implement integration plan for lateral attorneys.
- Evaluate associate work allocation processes for more equitable distribution of work and to enhance well-being through workload management.
- Develop inclusive leadership training for firm leaders.