1L LCLD Scholars Program
The 1L LCLD Scholars Program, led by Sandra Leung, is one of the Pipeline Committee's key strategies designed to strengthen the legal pipeline by expanding the number of opportunities for diverse first-year law students. The Program offers students the rare opportunity to work side-by-side with attorneys in our member organizations. The 1L LCLD Scholars program provides a valuable experience for the Scholars and creates opportunities to develop strategic partnerships with law schools that support our initiatives.
To confirm your commitment to the 2014 1L LCLD Scholars Program, please click here to register your organization for the 2014 1L LCLD Scholars Program. Registration is open November 1, 2013 through February 10, 2014.
Eligibility for Participating LCLD Member Organizations
Participating LCLD Members must:
- maintain their membership during the 2014 year, which includes having a signed LCLD Commitment Statement on file with the LCLD and payment of 2014 annual dues;
- commit to having at least 1L LCLD Scholar in the 2014 program; and
- except as otherwise noted in the eligibility and application process below, determine the criteria for, and be solely responsible for, identifying, selecting, and hiring their 1L LCLD Scholar(s).
Please keep in mind that the overall goal of the LCLD is to increase diversity in the legal profession and that under-represented populations in our profession are of primary interest to LCLD's work.
Eligibility and Application Process for 1L LCLD Scholars Program Candidates
- Candidates must be enrolled as first-year law students and in good standing at an ABA accredited law school.
- A list of LCLD member organizations who are participating in the 2014 1L LCLD Scholars Program can be found here. If provided by the participating employer, the list will include eligibility requirements, job descriptions and/or recruiting contacts.
- Candidates must apply directly to the participating LCLD member organizations. The 1L LCLD Scholars Program will rely on participating member organizations to identify, select, and hire their 1L LCLD Scholar(s).
Program Benefits for 1L LCLD Scholars
The 1L LCLD Scholars Program committee will coordinate several networking opportunities for the 1L LCLD Scholars, which include:
- 1L LCLD Scholars Retreat, Dallas, June 5-7, 2014;
- Participation in the 1L LCLD Scholars Mentoring Program. 1L LCLD Scholars will have an opportunity to be paired with a LCLD Fellow that will serve as a mentor. Mentor(s) will be available to Scholars for a minimum of 1 year and hopefully through law school.
- Dedicated LinkedIn group for 1L LCLD Scholars.
1L LCLD Scholars Program Documents for LCLD Member Organizations
For your convenience, we have provided:
Click here to download a list of other diversity and inclusion opportunities available throughout the year.